The Spiderwick Chronicles

The Spiderwick Chronicles (Boxed Set): The Field Guide; The Seeing Stone; Lucinda's Secret; The Ironwood Tree; The Wrath of MulgrathThe Spiderwick Chronicles

This is one of the instances where I would say: Watch the movie and don't bother with the books.

The movie had a tighter storyline while the book ... well, there wasn't near enough text in this little clunkster to give all the lovely back stories and build up the world of faerie.

The book's illustrations make it worth keeping. But the movie is pure magic.

5 comments

  1. That's interesting. Very few people like the movie better. But wouldn't the movie suffer for taking out much background info and character-relevant details? The series was condensed into just one movie, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I watched the movie before I read the books, and I loved the movie so much more. And I agree, the set is worth keeping just for the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. artseblis - actually there really isn't much in the book. it leaves a lot to your imagination ... and the movie actually interprets that world really well! you're right -- all 5 books (not very thick!) were condensed into one movie.

    can't really compare these slim volumes to say, harry potter or narnia ... !

    ReplyDelete
  4. blooey, good for you. i wish that i'd done that :) i actually stopped at book 2 ages ago and only got to read the whole thing by borrowing the 5-book compilation from the library!oh, do you have a copy of the filed guide already - the illustrations there are beautiful (hoping one will come out on bookmooch!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I had the field guide - I put it up on BookMooch for a friend in Israel!

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall