Travel the World in Books: My Notable Reads


Are you participating in the #TraveltheWorldinBooks readathon or challenge? Are you still figuring out what to read, or simply curious about where some stories take place?

You can check out my Book Map for the settings of all my reads. I also invite you to check out my sidebar where I have a drop down "Travel the World in Books" which lists the country settings.

In this post, I'm pulling together some of my favourite book, or reads that I consider "notable" and worth reading (so far!). Maybe you'll discover some new reads for your challenge TBR!

Edit: So I just came back from GirlXOXO's post on the Global Reading Exposure Challenge and realize that this list is just a perfect response. She asks that we share a book that takes place in a region other than where we're living. It would be impossible for me to share just one, there are just too many!

Fiction


Multiple countries:
Eight Girls Taking Pictures by Whitney Otto (Argentina, Germany, Italy, UK, USA)
Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia and across Europe)
Ru by Kim Thuy (Canada, Thailand, Vietnam)

Argentina:

Canada:

Germany:

India:
 
Israel: 

Japan:

Mexico:

Nigeria:

Norway:

The Philippines:

Poland:

Portugal:

Singapore:

Sweden:

Turkey:

UK:


USA:

Vietnam:

Non-Fiction

Night by Elie Wiesel (Austria, Poland) 
A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain (France, Japan, US, UK, Vietnam)


Check out all my posts related to this readathon!
Or check out the perpetual challenge.

12 comments

  1. Wowee! Thanks for sharing. I am pinning this to the Readathon board and to read board cause there are too many great recommendations. What struck me most was Loteria. My husband's family is from Mexico and my MIL gave us a Loteria set. She plays with my kids but I still haven't learned. I think its a great idea to try it during these next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What and interesting multi-cultural family you have, Tanya! Loteria sounds a bit like tarot cards to me (and I loved the book) but it'll be interesting to see how you fare with the kids ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow - great list. I have such a hard time finding good nonfiction recommendations. Adding almost all of them to my TBR. I'm pinning it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also check out my non-fiction listing. I don't think I put everything there. Glad you found some reads that strike you as interesting!

      Delete
  3. Love, love this list! I've bookmarked it for future reference - I haven;t read anything form many of the countries you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find it useful, Tanya Patrice! Thanks for hosting the mini-challenge :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not participating because I didn't feel up to a challenge right now, but I love the idea. Reading diversely is on of my reading goals in general. I love your reading map and have been considering whether it's worth the work to have one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The readathon maybe just for 2 weeks, but the challenge is definitely long-term (or perennial, like I did!). Let me know if you decide to do the reading map, I'd love to see you're reads :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely love this list. I pinned it to our Travel the World in Books Readathon board cause I have a lot I need to add tomy TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This...is...AWESOME!!!!!

    I've only read FIVE of these books so look at all the recommendations! Hurray! I love it! Bookmarking this page so I can come back and make my TBR list another mile in length. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm curious as to which 5 you've read! Hurray for mile-long TBRs ;)

      Delete
  7. I started a reading map at the beginning of the year -- but it got out of control. :) There are lots of books here that are on my TBR and I just needed the reminder to pull them out!

    ReplyDelete




© guiltless readingMaira Gall