{Guest Post} Jasper Jansen #Bibliobath: A waterproof strategy for enjoying the old masterpieces

  • Tuesday, June 23, 2015


I confess that I don't read a lot of classics although the ones I have read do stay with me. Though I am totally on board with the idea of reading anywhere and everywhere. I love reading while taking a bath but have had a few victimized books (oh well). This is why I'm happy to host Jasper Jansen of Bibliobath to explain his brilliant idea for waterproof books! Spread the word or back up the Kickstarter Project .. and help make waterproof classics one step closer to reality! 

(Note: I was not compensated for hosting this guest post.)

Kickstarting the Classics: A waterproof strategy for enjoying the old masterpieces by Jasper Jansen of Bibliobath

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
 – From ‘He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven’, by W.B. Yeats


It is a wonderful poem. One of my favorites in fact. But that is not surprising because I hardly know any other ones. In fact, I discovered “Cloths of Heaven” because Sean Bean reads it before getting executed by Christian Bale in the movie ‘Equilibrium’.

And it’s not just poetry, there are many classics I should read, and would undoubtedly love, but I just don’t get around to reading them. Why is this?

Attention Deficit 

Mostly because I am a modern multi-tasker with an attention span of about 15 minutes – even less if a book does not grab me right away. And in those rare moments when I do find the peace of mind to enjoy to some Shakespeare or Yeats, I tend not to have a copy around.

And in a way that’s fine, but sometimes I wish I read just some of it and learned to savor the language itself and not just the story.

But I’ve found a way to do just that: with waterproof books.

A Waterproof Strategy 

Imagine you are taking a hot bath on a Sunday evening, relaxing after a long weekend. There is a small bundle of poems laying by your bath. You keep it there because it looks cute, and it’s waterproof. You flip it open on “The Rose of the World”, a short poem which seems to be about something sad. Or beauty. You’re not sure: You discover more and more each time you read it. You put it aside again and close your eyes, thinking about the lines you just read.

And that’s it. No need to read the whole bundle, remember the poem, or leave a bookmark for the next time. You just take your time to muse on the words in front of you.

Explore the Classics

For me it’s poetry in the bath. For others, it may be enjoying a short story of Twain on the beach, going over lines of Shakespeare by the pool, or taking “The Art of War” with you on a rugged hike or sailing trip. That is why we are Kickstarting a project to produce 4 classics in handy format which are waterproof and tear-resistant. They look good in your bathroom and will withstand any outdoor conditions you expose them to.


Support us on Bibliobath.com! from Bibliobath on Vimeo.

We have 20+ days left to get the required funding to start this project. So if you wish to make this happen, or just want to get your hands on a Limited Edition of The Art of War, then head over now and get your first waterproof copy!

Contact Jasper Jansen of Bibliobath:

Kickstarter Page
@JasperJansen

No comments

Post a Comment




© guiltless readingMaira Gall